Skip Main Navigation
Skip to Content

New Single Family

Before you Apply

Thinking about building a new home in Arvada? If the lot is over 10,000 square feet a site development permit must be obtained. 

Required Documents

Below are the required documents that must be filled out completely and submitted with permit application or the permit will not be accepted. Custom Home Plans will require that the Plan Review Fee is paid when the permit is dropped off for review. Permits require 2- 4 weeks for repeat plans and 4- 6 weeks for custom or master plans/approximately. Any delay in your reply to our questions will affect the time to get any permit approved.

For Custom Homes Provide:

  • Permit Application
  • Plot Plan
  • Erosion/ Grading Plan
  • Floor Plans to include: Building Elevations, Cross Sections, Floor Plans, details, etc.
  • Structural Plans/ Foundation Plans, Stamped and Signed**
  • Soils Report, Stamped and Signed**
  • Set of Manual J, D and S Calculations
  • Energy Report- calculation of Building Envelope Compliance***
  • Truss Specification Package, Stamped and Signed**

For Mastered Homes Provide:

  • Permit Application (please indicate the master plan number on the address line. Master plan applications should not include a site specific address)
  • Floor Plans/ Architectural Plans
  • All elevations required
  • Engineered Structural Plans/ Foundation Plans**
  • All elevations required
  • Soils Report (that the design for the Engineer stamped foundation plans/ structural plans are based on)**

For Repeat Plan Sets from Master provide:

  • Permit Application
  • Plot Plan
  • Erosion/ Grading Plan
  • Structural Plans/ Foundation Plans, Stamped and Signed**
  • Soils Report, Stamped and Signed**
  • Set of Manual J, D and S Calculations
  • Energy Report- calculation of Building Envelope Compliance***
  • Truss Specification Package, Stamped and Signed**

Permit application must include the total project valuation with a breakout of separate valuations for electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work. Plans must include the proposed square footage. Multi-unit buildings must include details showing construction of rated walls/assemblies between units. Plans and any engineer letters must also include the applicable design criteria and adopted codes for the City of Arvada.

*See the most current version of the Colorado Revised Statutes 12-25-303 for requirements on when architectural stamped plans are required.

**By a professional licensed in the State of Colorado (engineer or architect).

***Only required when using a performance based method of compliance to demonstrate building envelope compliance requirements (some examples of an energy report include REScheck or HER's report).

Required Approvals

Approvals for permit issuance is required from Planning, Engineering and Building Inspections


Inspections can be scheduled until 6:00 a.m. of the desired inspection date. Inspections are completed Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. All inspection can be scheduled using or by calling 720-898-7630 and using the automated line. A 3-digit inspection code is required.

Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.)

To obtain a Certificate of Occupancy the project must be in good standing with Engineering, Planning and Stormwater. All fees must be paid prior to issuance of the C.O.

Step 1. All final inspections are completed:

  • Final Structural,
  • Final Electrical,
  • Final Mechanical (HVAC) 
  • Final Plumbing
  • CO- Public Improvement 

Step 2: Upload Required Documents

All documents should be uploaded to the permit through All documents must be uploaded individually in PDF format.

Provide the following:

  • Air Leakage Report/ Blower Door Certification- less than or equal to 3 ACH/ Min

  • Energy certification, if using performance based method

    Insulation certificate, if using a prescriptive based method of compliance

  • Provide documentation of compliance with section R302.13 of the 2018 IRC for fire protection of floor assemblies (the documentation that needs to be submitted depends on what method was used for compliance. Please ask us if you have any questions)

  • Provide the Foundation Inspection Form with each of the required inspections signed off and stamped by the engineer that approved the inspection. See Foundation Inspection Form for details.

  • Final ILC w/ impervious surface calculation

  • Final Grading Certificate

  • Certificate of Landscaping Completion

    If landscape construction is partially completed, or is yet to start construction, the Landscape Architect must provide an estimate indicating the value of the incomplete landscaping; this will serve as the basis for the required escrow amount as established by the development agreement. If there is no effective development agreement for the site, the required escrow amount will be set at 150% of the estimated value, except during a drought, during which time the escrow may be reduced to 110% of the contract value for incomplete turf or seeded areas, trees, shrubs, mulch, edger, and weed barrier; a factor of 150% will be applied to all other landscape elements. Escrowed funds will be released upon submission of Certificate of Landscape Completion indicating that 100% of the landscape design for the site has been completed per the approved plans.

Step 3: Schedule a CO/TCO Inspection.

This will notify the other departments a CO or TCO is being requested. Upload all required documents with request, missing documentation may result in a denial of request.

Step 4: Pay Fees

1. Pay your tap fees. If paying fees with non-certified funds, you must allow for the payment to clear before you will be approved for a Certificate of Occupancy.

2. Landscaping Escrow: If the landscape is incomplete, the planner will assess escrow amount on the permit. This must be paid beofre CO/TCO can be issued.

Step 5: Monitor

Once all required documents are added to the permit and you have scheduled the inspection, monitor to make sure all of the reviews are completed by the following departments:

  • Engineering
  • Planning
  • Utility Billing
  • Building

After all departments have approved their reviews, a Certificate of Occupancy may be issued. An email will be sent to the permit applicant when the permit status is updated. Please allow 3-5 business days for the request to be reviewed.


Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (T.C.O)

A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy can be requested, please complete the steps for a Certificate of Occupancy and email with details for your request for a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy