Marge Roberts Park, located on the northwest corner of Miller Street and W. 58th Avenue, was purchased with Arvada's share of Open Space funds in August 1979. Originally named Holder Park, it was renamed in 1990 for Arvada resident Marge Roberts, who led a neighborhood group in the park's redesign. The park was last updated in 2004. Based on several areas in need of repair, including aging playground equipment, upheaved sidewalks, deteriorating retaining walls, overgrown vegetation, an outdated irrigation system and undersized water tap, the Parks team is gearing up for an exciting major park overhaul.
The City has hired Stream Landscape Architecture and Planning to help revitalize the park, bring it up to code, improve accessibility and expand its use for the broader community. Planned improvements include:
- New nature-themed play equipment (paid for through the City's Taking Lasting Care program)
- Adventure trail with play elements
- Artificial turf mounds
- New benches and picnic tables
- New centrally located shade sail
- Expanded basketball court
- Concrete loop trail with parallel soft surface path
- Native landscaping around the periphery of the park
- Updated irrigation
- New water tap
- Improved landscaping (in alignment with the City's low-water and low maintenance goals).
Click on images for larger view
Images 1 - 4: Schematic Site Design plan and elevations
Image 5: Play pit and adventure play area
Image 6: Expanded basketball court
General Timeline (subject to change)
- Fall/winter 2022: Construction documents completed and bid out to contractors
- Spring/summer 2023: Construction begins
- Fall/winter 2023: Project completed
In March 2021, the City team conducted a survey on Speak Up Arvada asking residents to weigh in on the playground elements and theme. Survey responses are being used to inform the new playground designs.
Maki Boyle, City of Arvada Senior Landscape Architect and project manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- by Vibrant Community and Neighborhoods & Parks, Golf and Hospitality