Skip Main Navigation
Skip to Content

Animal Breeds and Care

The City has laws that govern the keeping and care of animals. To explore all of Arvada's animal laws, please browse  Chapter 14 of the City Code. The summary information provided below is for convenience. If you have questions, please refer to City Code or contact Animal Management at 720-898-6850.  

Care and Treatment of Animals

Animal cruelty, neglect, and improper treatment are against the law. For a complete list of care and treatment laws, please see  Article VI, Chapter 14, in the City Code. 

To report animal cruelty or neglect, please call nonemergency police dispatch at 720-898-6900.

Types of Animals

In Arvada, there are no breed bans for dogs. There are other types of animals which are prohibited, though, or only allowed to be kept under specific circumstances.

Allowed Animals

Whether a specific animal is permitted on your property depends on many factors, including zoning where you live. The following list includes animals whose keeping may require unique zoning or adherence to other specific laws. Please refer to the  City Code for specific information. 


  • Chickens
  • Turkeys
  • Miniature goats
  • Rabbits
  • Dogs
  • Cats

Prohibited Animals

Prohibited exotic animals include but are not limited to:

  • Primates
  • Poisonous reptiles
  • Non-poisonous snakes longer than 6 feet
  • Crocodilians
  • Wolves
  • Coyotes
  • Skunks
  • Bears
  • Lions 

Animal Limits

Arvada ordinances specify  how many animals you can have of specific types and total.  In general, you cannot more than 4 dogs and cats total. You cannot have more than: 

  • 3 dogs (older than four months)
  • 4 cats (older than four months)
  • Two pot-bellied pigs (older than four months)

There are also limits on other animals. In addition to limits on cats, dogs, and pigs, you cannot have more than 15 animals total, including chickens, miniature goats, hamsters, and so forth.


If you breed or sell animals in Arvada, you must be licensed. A kennel license can be applied for through the City Clerk's office.